New U.S. Clearwing found @ NABA Park - Dec. 7, 2005

Mike Quinn Mike.Quinn at tpwd.state.tx.us
Thu Dec 8 18:41:11 EST 2005

Jan Dauphin of Mission, TX photographed another New U.S. Record!

Broad-tipped Clearwing (Pteronymia cotytto)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabast/cotytto.html

NABA International Butterfly Park
Mission, Hidalgo County, Texas
December 07, 2005
Jan Dauphin, Kim Davis, plus M.Ob.

The Broad-tipped Clearwing was one day shy of the one year anniversary
of last year's new U.S. clearwing record:

Thick-tipped Greta (Greta morgane)
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabast/morgane.html

World Birding Center Headquarters gardens
Bentsen-RGV State Park, Mission, Hidalgo Co., TX
December 8, 2004 (Randy Emmitt)

Amazingly, it was 100 years prior to these two clearwing records that
the only previous U.S. clearwing records occurred.

Roy Kendall and William McGuire (1984) tracked down nine Texas specimens
of Klug's Clearwing (Dircenna klugii) deposited in Royal Ontario Museum
and the Buffalo Museum of Science. The most recent of which was a female
Klug's Clearwing collected July 1904 in Brownsville, Cameron Co.,
Texas...

http://tinyurl.com/bmnys

Kendall, R.O., & W.W. McGuire. 1984. Some new and rare records of
Lepidoptera found in Texas. Bulletin of the Allyn Museum 86:1-50.

Mike

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Mike Quinn
Invertebrate Biologist
Nongame & Rare Species
Texas Parks & Wildlife

M: 3000 I-35 South, Suite 100, Austin, Texas 78704
P: 512-912-7059
C: 512-577-0250
E: mike.quinn at tpwd.state.tx.us
Texas Entomology