[leps-talk] Re: Validity of Monarch Sanctuary Deforestation Claims

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Fri Dec 23 03:01:28 EST 2005

Stan Gorodenski wrote:

> The deforestation maps from 1971 to 1999 show quite a
> different picture than Paul's photographs... it
> appears there really has been extensive derforestation in
> prior years, much more than I would have guessed
> based on statements about the current health of the Oyamel
> forest.

Those "maps" are electronic animations of alledged
deforestation, not real photographs, hence not real
reliable  For example,. the animations show
substantial deforestation at the El Rosario Reserve between
1986 and 1999, but real photographs such as mine below
show next to none:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/1990.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/2005.jpg

Why didn't the authors of the animation study show the public
many of the actual aerial photos upon which the animations were
based?  To find out, last winter I visited the Geography Dept.
at the University of Mexico in Mexico City and viewed
the aerial photos in person. I found the actual aerial photos were
just black and while photos taken at such high altitudes
that individual trees could not hardly be clearly resolved.
I was dissappointed the aerial photos were not clear enough
to be useful as evidence either for or against alledged
deforestation.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.