[leps-talk] RE: Lep News Schappert Editorial

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 01:16:02 EDT 2005

Mark W. wrote:
>On a different note, I wonder if I would like to be  the editor for the
>LepSoc?  Shoot, I don't even know if I can be a  member!

You don't say, Marco!  What's the big hullabaloo about Phil  here?  I didn't
get the News...There have been so many opinions on what  Phil but no way for
the uninitiated to read the original "prose" and make up our  own minds in this
stampede.

But I did pick up on Mark's last point, which  I must shout a resounding "me
too",  For the first time in years, I also am  not a member of the LepSoc.
This makes me sad.  I am not part of 20%  attrition, nor have I lost interest in
the slightest.  Anyone with a  collecting instinct (though I don't presently
collect it's a moot point) never  likes to interrupt a nice series.  And my
case nothing to do with Phil. I  am not going to repeat my personal case in
public, other than to say I just  plain got turned off by the nonsensensical hoops
I have to jump through to have  my dues collected, and this year things got
too confusing to keep up with  it.  I always go to a great effort to pay my
dues, by actually planning a  trip to the US to mail them.  And I will not be
paying a penalty now to get  my back issues, at the all time high rates.

What ever happened to the Lep  Soc personalities I miss so much?  If someone
could go out and discover new  species of Leps on his lunch hour, you'd think
paying dues wouldn't be like  going to the dentist for those out of the
country.  I still fully support  the Lep Soc.  There are still many great members
who have managed to  survive.  I wish this list would reflect a little less of
the sour pickle  which seems to be eclipsing the e-Lepsters in general, and a
little more of the  great fun I have had every time I have been at a LepSoc
function.

So,  this is not a great philosophical statement of the enchanting Society,
just one  piece of data on why one particularly motivated member fell though
the  cracks.  Problem is I suspect it is not an isolated case, but rather
diagnostic.
Saludos, Doug