Green Striped Larvae

Stanley A. Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Wed May 4 01:00:51 EDT 2005

Almost two weeks ago in southern Arizona I observed two colonies of
larvae on two different Ceanothus plants. One was about 2nd instar. The
other about 3rd instar. They appeared to be Nymphalid larvae, and were
not inside a tent like web structure-they were in the open and
gregarious, like C. lacinia larvae. They were black with a mid-dorsal
green strip. It was not a bright green, more like a dull green or
gray-green. I did not think of bringing my camera on the trip and so I
do not have any images. One fellow lepidopterist who also saw them
thought they might be Nymphalis californica larvae. Another very
experienced lepidopterist who was not there thought so also based on my
description of the larvae. The description in Tilden and Smith does not
match exactly what I saw but I can imagine there is some variability in
the color of the mid-dorsal strip. Does anyone know if this might be
something else other than N. californica?
Stan