Do insects feel pain?

Woody Woods woody.woods at umb.edu
Thu May 26 23:45:32 EDT 2005

Sorry to add this so late-- been tied up-- but, about insects often showing
"little outward sign of distress" after serious injury:

A few years back, someone in the lab where I did undergraduate research was
measuring the pumping rate of the cibariopharyngal (nectar) pump in the moth
M. sexta. To do this, he had to remove the heads of quite a few moths that
were chilled before surgery. Since he needed only the heads, he set the rest
aside. The headless moths, once they returned to room temperature, behaved
as though they did not miss their heads much; they walked, shivered their
wings to warms up, flew-- and, in one case, mated, though possibly only
because they were in a small container.

Yikes.

Woody