Mice and butterflies

Stan Gorodenski stan_gorodenski at asualumni.org
Fri Nov 25 18:08:18 EST 2005

I don't have any information on mice predation on other butterflies, but
I wonder if the following observation from Monarch Watch can be a valid
argument against forest thinning:
"Other characteristics may affect the amount of predation too. The edge
or periphery of the roost faces higher levels of predation than the
center. Thus, small roosts, with a larger edge to interior ratio, face
higher overall predation than larger roosts, which have a lower edge to
interior ratio. Forest thinning, due to natural causes such as
streambeds or human-induced causes such as selective logging or brush
clearing, also increases predation. Thinning increases the surface area
of the roost and makes the top side of the roost more accessible to
predators."

My question is:  Are these observations made on large and small roosts
that are separated from one another to such a degree that the same bird
population would not likely feed on more than one roost? The cited part
of Monarch watch does not make it clear if they are or not.

If roosts are separated from one another to such a degree that the same
bird population would not likely feed on more than one roost, then these
observations could be viewed as a valid argument against thining.  On
the other hand, if the same bird population can feed on both large and
small roosts in the same study area, then it is questionable that the
observations are a valid justification against thinning. It may be that
smaller roosts have larger overall predation than larger roosts because
it is easier for the bird to get to the Monarch.  If  a bird had a
choice of doing something easy or hard, I would guess it would choose
the easy way.  Hypothetically, if smaller roosts disappeared, i.e. no
longer existed, and all roosts were large, it does not seem likely the
large roosts would still experience the same level of predation as they
had in the presense of small roosts.  The birds could and probably would
modify their predation techniques  so that the large roosts would
experience the same level of predation, or close to it, as the smaller
roosts.

I know very little about this subject, and so these are questions I have.
Stan