preservation of insects without using naphthalene

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Mon Oct 31 19:16:21 EST 2005

Actually, in the past year I have started to use cedar oil impregnated onto a cotton ball in each drawer...This in association with two applications of PDB annually, in a 1/2 inch dia. PVC pipe cap, located in a corner of each drawer...So far, no indication of a problem in any box (of 60)...but I am sure that I need to do more to be sure that a problem doesn't develop...Freezing the specimens before they go into the box is a good consideration...

Napthalene is no good for killing an infestation...but I understand that it does work in terms of keeping them out...PDB is better...Paul C's notes on an application of no more than a pencil-reaser sized piece of vapona per drawer is interesting...He is right, too..vapona (Shell "No Pest Strip") is readily available at Home Depot...I bought a package a few months ago but have not used it yet...

The boxes should be periodically inspected for openings at the edges etc. that can develop from handling them, opening and closing the lids etc....

Alex