Predators on Butterflies

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 23 21:07:05 EDT 2005

Data on who the predators are, what they are catching (in relation to
numbers of butterflies in an area), what flowers they favor, are remarkably
sparse.

I see predation fairly often, but what is intriguing is that some years its
Crab Spiders mainly, while in other years its even (Ambush Bug=Crab Spider).
This year in our yard, only Ambush Bugs (including a bright green one). The
prey is mostly female Cabbage Whites, probably in proportion to the number
of nectaring butterflies. I have marked some Ambush Bugs from time to time,
enough to find that having once caught a prey item and emptied it, they
stick around only briefly (hours) and then move to another flower (or at
least disappear from view).  Of course, maybe if I hadn't marked them they
might stick around more.

Mike Gochfeld