Predators on Butterflies

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Sep 24 22:09:20 EDT 2005

We had the opportunity to study predation by Smooth-billed Anis (a black
member of the cuckoo family) on an aggregation of hundreds of whites and
sulphurs, puddling on the shores of the Cristalino River in Brazil.
Every few minutes the several anis would rush in and each would try to
seize a butterfly. The aggregation would get up, circle around in
marvelous chaos for a minute or two and then return to the mud.  These
anis ate the butterflies whole, wings and all.  Jacamars, on the other
hand, meticuluously eat the bodies, leaving an array of wings under
their favorite perch.

Probably not to many Jacamars at the Summit.  How about Say's Phoebe.
Could that be around that location.

  MIKE GOCHFELD

Mike Gochfeld