Would be conservationist fined $200

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 8 14:16:15 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 19:42, Robert Nuelle wrote:
> Restore Butterflies from Virginia to Delaware??? I would think the USDA
> would be next in line to prosecute for attempted transportation of
> non-indigenous species with the intent to distribute!
>
> Bob Nuelle

You beat me to it Bob. It seems that this individual was at the very
least ignorant. It sounds a laudable aim to create colonies of butterfly
species elsewhere but the reality of the matter is that the research
shows that butterfly introductions are very rarely successful.
We have a real problem here with one species in that it doesn't
establish in the long term but that  sneaky introductions are causing
confusion and difficulties working out priorities for conservation.

It would actually be better to know the real facts. We shouldn't just
believe newspaper reports.

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/