"dire straits faced by most of our butterfly fauna"

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Mon Apr 30 23:52:02 EDT 2007

Stan Gorodenski wrote:

> Paul,
> Are you mixing up issues? The discussion seems to be on the extinction
> of species that occurs in an area year round (which may not be the
> extinction of the species if there are other areas it is in), not
> migratorial phenomena.

OK, lets limit the discussion to the non-migratory species
that occur in Shapiro's study area (lower Sacramento Valley
of California)

Below are three of Shapiro's species lists for three locations
in the vicinity of Sacramento, Calif:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ns.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/ws.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/4af/rc.jpg

Notice all three separate locations have nearly identical
butterfly faunas. Now ask yourself:  Is it reasonable for
Shapiro to proclaim MOST of his listed species (discounting
the migratory ones) are in DIRE straights?

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.