L anthedon or L. creola Identification?

Mark Walker xvermontrz at cox.net
Tue Jan 1 13:28:23 EST 2008

Hi Tom,

I do not pretend to be an expert on this genus, but I have collected a good
number across the north and south of the United States.  Perhaps not
amazingly, most turn out to be anthedon - even across the deep south.  To
this date I have but one single creola, which was collected south of
Atlanta.  That specimen was a male, and it has the characteristically
elongated forewings that quickly separate it from anthedon and portlandia.

The most immediately obvious character that is used to separate creola are
the five eye spots on the forewing, but as you suggest - these can sometimes
be missing (or even present on the other species).  However, there are a few
other marks that can help with the identification.  The curved postmedial
line that runs down and to the inside of the row of eyespots on the ventral
forewing is one of them.  On creola, this typically forms a small "m" that
points towards the apex.  The other species don't usually have this mark.
Another mark typically found on creola is a small line that runs diagonally
between the postmedian and submedian lines on the ventral hindwing.  This
mark is typically reduced on anthedon and portlandia, though not always.

So - my personal guess is that you have an aberrant anthedon, but recognize
that this is coming from a guy who's been hunting for creola mostly in vain.
Iowa does seems a bit far north for creola, but then stranger things have
happened.  I believe creola finds its way all the way into southern
Illinois.

Hope this helps.

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA