Phoebis agarithe on Oahu

James Adams jadams at daltonstate.edu
Wed Jan 9 16:23:53 EST 2008

Folks,

         Sorry, I didn't realize that the answering e-mails were sent just
to me.  Thanks, Hugh and Tom, for making me realize I was being rude by
keeping the answers all to myself!

Here are the important links and information.

________________________

Hawaii agarithe link:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:7PrWCNcBo_oJ:www.hawaii.gov/hdoa/meetings_reports/legislative-reports/2007LegReports/Appendix
2 - Pest Detection Semiannual Rpt.pdf+agarithe+guam&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Pithecellobium dulce has become established in Imperial Co Ca and with it
agarithe. Apparently dulce got to Hawaii via Guam via Philippines. I wonder
if agarithe got there first or is going there next?

(from Dave Wikle)
________________________

The answers I got were as follows:

1. What you saw was indeed Phoebis agarithe. I first saw it on Maui in
December 2004. In February 2005 it began to appear in the Kona area of the
Big Island of Hawaii, where I lived at the time. I live on Oahu now and
have seen this butterfly commonly since December 2005. The Honolulu Zoo is
a very good place to view this species as there are many of its host trees
planted there.

Aloha,
Jim Snyder

2. It is listed as 'Newly Recorded' on
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ak5t-kmn/hawaii/hawaii.htm and a 2005
specimen illustrated.

Large orange sulfur, Phoebis agarithe (Boisduval) (Lepidoptera:
Pieridae). Adult
specimens of this butterfly new to Hawaii were first found visiting
Momordica flowers at
Olowalu, Maui, in September 2004. In March 2005, larvae of the large
orange sulfur
were collected from opiuma, Pithecellobium dulce (also known as Manila
tamarind), a
leguminous tree that is naturalized in Hawaii. In January 2005, adult
specimens were
collected at Kalaeloa on Oahu for a new island record.

Martin Honey

James K. Adams
School of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College  (706) 272-4427; Fax: (706) 272-2533
http://www.daltonstate.edu/faculty/jadams
Visit the Georgia Lepidoptera Website at:
http://www.daltonstate.edu/galeps/