USFWS and traveling with specimens...

LEPS-L glaucus at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 11 21:26:17 EST 2008

Hi all,

I am wondering what any of your experiences have been in dealing with USFWS
upon bringing back specimens from a foreign collecting trip? I would be
interested in hearing from anyone who has done this, whether for scientific
research, a personal collection, or for commercial purposes. I have an
opportunity to collect in South America, and I have a USFWS license. I am
wondering about bringing back specimens in my suitcase. Their perishable
nature will require a quick inspection at the airport in between plane
layovers. I'd like to know what experiences any of you have had. Thanks very
much!