New Moth species for NY

Hugh McGuinness hmcguinness at ross.org
Mon Mar 17 21:01:05 EDT 2008

Tonight while looking through some old trap samples from 2004, I found a
what appears to be a new species for New York: Cyclophora nanaria (Dwarf
Tawny Wave).  I caught the beast on 3 Aug 2004 at Teddy Roosevelt County
Park in Montauk, Suffolk Co, NY. I have found a single record for Maryland,
otherwise it appears to be a stray on the East Coast. The Maryland record is
from a serpentine barrens, and my record is from a xeric grassland, so I
suppose there is a chance that this is a rare member of the coastal
grassland fauna. I¹m wondering whether anyone on any of these lists knows
anything about this moth (range, ecology, host plant, etc.) or if anyone
knows of any other NY or northeastern records. I can post a photo if anyone
is interested.

In the last year, I have found several species that appear to be new for New
York, and I hope to post a note about each one in the near future.

Hugh

Hugh McGuinness
The Ross School
18 Goodfriend Dr.