other extremely early records for Indiana

John Shuey jshuey at TNC.ORG
Tue May 6 10:26:41 EDT 2008

I was out yesterday in the Indiana hills and glades just across the
river from Louisville, and saw a beat Junonia coenia and three very
fresh Phoebis sennae.  Again, I. henrici and M gryneus are still flying
at the site I was looking at - so it seems a bit early.  The P. sennea
were flying due north above the tree canopy but dropped down to ground
level in the glade I was looking at - then back up to the canopy as they
left the clearing.  I couldn't sex them definitively - but they were
very bright yellow -and I would guess they were males.

And D plexxipus is now frequent in the area - perhaps 10 individuals
seen.

John

________________________________

John A Shuey