Sesiidae & The Lake Okeechobee Gourd

Vincent Lucas vplucas at comcast.net
Fri Sep 26 16:50:55 EDT 2008

All:

I live in SW Florida. Nearby Lake Okeechobee (the largest lake in
Florida) has an endemic, endangered gourd named after it, the
Okeechobee Gourd (Cucurbita okeechobeensis okeechobeensis Small).
This gourd has only two known locations in the world, on the southern
edge of Lake Okeechobee and one in Volusia County, Florida along the
St. Johns River per the USFWS. Recently, a friend, Eric Gehring of
the Arthur R. Marshall Foundation (www.ArtMarshall.org), photographed
a couple of these gourds for me since he has a boat and is able to
get to the location which is otherwise inaccessible. You can see the
photos here:

http://www.caloosabirdclub.org/VPL/okeegourd1.jpg

and

http://www.caloosabirdclub.org/VPL/okeegourd2.jpg

Copyright belongs to Eric Gehring and may not be reproduced without
express permission by him. Notice that the Okeechobee Gourds are
hanging from a Pond Apple (Annona glabra -- Family: Annonaceae) which
is now in standing water due to the high levels of the lake brought
on by our summer tropical storms. Since the Okeechobee Gourd is a
member of the Cucurbitaceae – Cucumber family, is there any
possibility that any of the clearwing moths of the family Sesiidae
utilize it as a larval host? There are six members of genus Melittia
in North America that utilize the Cucurbitaceae as larval foodplants
per Eichlin, T.D. and W.D. Duckworth, 1988. Sesiodea: Sesiidae in
Dominick, R.B., et al., The Moths Of America North Of Mexico, fasc.
5.1. The larvae bore into the vines of the plants as most of you
know. Does anyone know if anyone has ever studied the Sesiidae in
relation to the Okeechobee Gourd? This would probably make for a good
PH.D thesis! Any thoughts on this matter?

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL