Passing of Bill Howe

Jim Mason jim at gpnc.org
Fri Aug 21 12:12:00 EDT 2009

Mike Stoakes reports that William Howe has passed away from complications
following a major stroke.  Bill edited and illustrated the book "Butterflies
of North America" in 1975 and continued to paint butterflies for the rest of
his life.

Here is what Mike wrote on Wednesday.  He would be pleased to hear from
anyone who knew Bill.

**********************

Bill passed away yesterday (Aug. 18) at 6:05 a.m. A memorial service is
being planned for the evening of Thursday, Aug. 27 at the Carnegie Cultural
Center (5th and Main St.) in Ottawa, KS. A memorial fund is being
established which will benefit Franklin County, KS art students with
scholarships. In addition, funds are being accepted for a headstone in
Ottawa's Highland Cemetery where Bill's ashes will be buried. Let me know if
you're interested in contributing to one or both, and I'll pass along the
specifics.

Bill's knowledge and artistic skills are lasting gifts to all who knew or
knew of him, as well as to the larger community of scientists, naturalists,
and lovers of nature's infinite beauty. He will be missed.

Respectfully,

Mike Stoakes

Lee's Summit, MO

816-554-1956