New MONA fascicle

Hugh McGuinness hmcguinness at ross.org
Wed Jan 7 15:32:33 EST 2009

Dear Fellow Leppers,

I recently found out that Doug Ferguson's MONA fascicle on the
Macariines was published in December, and yet I don't think it has
been mentioned on this list. From what I have heard, this volume is
being published posthumously thanks to the efforts of many people who
filled the final details of Dr. Ferguson's work. Personally I am very
excited, since I find this group difficult. I have reprinted the
details on how to order the new fascicle below, which can be had at
the pre-publication price if you mention the announcement on this
listserv and/or my name by Jan 21.

Fascicle 17.2.  Geometroidea, Geometridae, Ennominae (part: Abaxini,
Cassymini, Macariini) by Douglas C. Ferguson.

430 pages; 15 colored plates, 68 text figures; clothbound. 2008

The text treats 169 species in 17 genera of North American moths of
the geometrid tribes Abraxini, Cassymini, and Macariini.  One genus,
22  species, and three subspecies are newly described.  Adults of all
species are illustrated in color by 532 specimens and larvae of 81
species by 105 images.   Diagnostic characters of all the genera and
species are detailed and illustrated.  Specimens of this large group
of often closely similar and variable species have proved difficult to
identify.  Dr. Ferguson’s extensive field work in the United States
and Canada and large number of rearings has enabled him to resolve
many problems of recognition and to discuss the means to accomplish
it.  Identification keys for all genera and many species based on
characters of adults together with illustrations of wings and
genitalia and notes on variable characters will be extremely helpful
to enable recognition of specimens.  The immature stages of 81 species
are characterized and illustrated.  A synonymic check list of the
described species updates the Check List of the Lepidoptera of America
north of Mexico.

ORDER FORM

Please send me _______copy(ies) of Fascicle 17.2—Geometroidea,
Geometridae, Ennominae (Abraxini, Cassymini, and Macariini)  at the
prepublication price of (U.S.) $100.00 plus shipping (U.S., Canadian,
and Mexican orders $5.00 per copy;  all others $10.00 per copy).  This
offer expires on 15 December 2008 (now 21 Jan 2009).  Thereafter, the
price will be $115.00 plus shipping and handling.

Hugh McGuinness
The Ross School
18 Goodfriend Drive
East Hampton, NY 11937