do Leps walk?

The Arthurs thearthurs at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 17 00:20:35 EST 2009

Hi. Thanks for your responses on Metardaris cosinga. It is a very interesting Lepidopter. I am interested on walking vs. flying in creatures that can fly, and why birds almost always walk if they can. What about Leps? Do you know of any Lepidopters that can fly that regularly walk? I have seen Noctua pronuba moths, after being swiped at with a net, drop to the ground (the cold cement of a gas-station) and run around in circles like a cockroach, apparently thinking that it could run better than it could fly, and, therefore, running was a better way to get away than flying. The moth was definitely not injured by the net. That is the only time I have ever observed a Lepidopter naturally walking rather than flying. Have any of you seen or heard of any other such occurences? Are there species that regularly walk rather than flying? Thanks.  -- Noah.