fixing greasy specimens

Gary Anweiler gganweiler at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 31 00:43:00 EST 2009

I think any good degreaser that does not leave a residue would work.  I use
white gas sold for Coleman camp stoves.

One thing that really helps is to blow-dry the bug  (gently!!) once it is
degreased as the scales may 'mat' from being degreased or wetted, especially
moths which tend to be much thicker or heavier scaled. Practice on something
you don't mind losing!

And lest I forget,  the standard caveat - use in well ventilated areas and
not near an open flame - or it could get overly exciting!

Gary.