Help With three Larvae I.D.'s

Vincent P Lucas vplucas at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 18:11:38 EDT 2010

A photographer friend of mine photographed these three larvae in Miami-
Dade County, Florida. In two of them, he identifies the plant that
they are on but not for the third. Can anyone offer some insight into
what they might be? The only larvae that I can find that utilize
Spigelia anthelmia (West Indian Pinkroot aka Wormweed) as a foodplant
host is a member of the Noctuidae i.e. Cydosia nobilitella (MONA 9000)
formerly Cydosia submutata. My friend did photograph an adult of this
species not less than 100 yards away from where he photographed the
larva on West Indian Pinkroot. . . . J.B. Heppner in _Arthropods of
Florida And Neighboring Land Areas: LEPIDOPTERA OF FLORIDA, Part 1
Introduction And Catalog_ (2003), states that the hostplant is unknown
for this species. . . . However, Tietz in _An Index To The Described
Life Histories, Early Stages And Hosts Of The Macrolepidoptera Of The
Continental United States And Canada_ (1972) lists Cydosia nobilitella
(now) as the lep that utilizes West Indian Pinkroot as the larval
hostplant. The photo of the yellow "dangling" caterpillar looks like a
geometrid of some type to me, but I'm not sure. The last photo of the
larva on cypress could possibly be an Arctiid, but again, I don't
know. Have a look at these three photos and if you can shed any light
on them as to the identities of these larvae, feel free to chime in
with your response. Thanks.

Vincent Lucas
Naples, FL
vplucas at comcast.net