drooping wings

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Tue Nov 9 15:12:31 EST 2010

Jim,

Comments inserted...

Alex

________________________________
From: owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu [mailto:owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of James McDermott
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 12:55 PM
To: souky at thenaturedepot.com
Cc: Leps-l
Subject: Re: drooping wings
This would be my guess, too. I allow specimens to dry naturally over 2 weeks or so, and don't usually have the drooping. Of course, some genera like Urbanus, Chiomara, and relatives almost inevitably droop-- for me.
[Grkovich, Alex] I dry them over dry (low) heat for between 2 and 3 weeks...and also keep them in a plastic container to be sure that ants etc. don't get at them...

I have had a curious observation. Papered specimens which have been relaxed (but NOT thoroughly enough) can be spread and the wings will hold initially. After 3 weeks or so the wings, probably absorbing humidity, contract upwards.
[Grkovich, Alex] This was in the past a REAL problem for me, as I've admitted several times...They really HAVE to be relaxed as thoroughly as possible, and I've had much better results relaxing them (also) over low heat, with HOT tap water..."Working" the wing muscles to loosen them also helps, along with (as I've found) pulling the front wings (and then the HWs) up BEYOND the horizontal position of the trailing FW edge...In other words, "working" them even further...Best is still, however, to keep them frozen during storage...Although larger specimens still need to be relaxed and have the muscles "worked over"...

James McDermott