Stop Please

Hugh McGuinness hmcguinness at ross.org
Fri Oct 29 11:13:09 EDT 2010

Long Island, NY, also had its first record for Striacosta albicosta this
past summer. Dan Gilrein caught one in Riverhead in July, and a few weeks
later I found one in Bridgehampton about 30 miles farther east but it eluded
my jar. This species can be an agricultural pest, and our sweet corn farmers
may have a new problem to deal with.

What is most fascinating about this moth is that it has moved east from the
Rocky Mountains in the space of 15 or so years. Does anybody have a
reasonable hypothesis as to what has caused this eastward expansion?

Hugh

Hugh McGuinness
The Ross School
18 Goodfriend Drive