Butterfly ID

Dan Irizarry rdirizarry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:20:35 EDT 2011

Hey everyone,

I took these shots today at Little Manatee River State Park in southern
Hillsborough County, FL.    These two are the same Cloudywing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danirizarry/5833059287/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danirizarry/5833612988/in/photostream

Here's a Northern Cloudywing from today for comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danirizarry/5833617618/in/photostream

I don't know whether they're Southern or Confused Cloudywings.  Either of
which is a good find for the area I think.  Kaufman's guide doesn't have
this area as part of their range.

Here are some shots of a Duskywing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danirizarry/5833614240/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danirizarry/5833060455/in/photostream

I think it's a female Juvenal's Duskywing but would like confirmation.  The
glassy spots on the upper forewing seem to go all the way to the bottom rim
of the wing, which doesn't happen on Horace's.   This is at the extreme
southern range of their territory according to Kaufman's range map for the
species.

Here's a Horace's Duskywing for comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danirizarry/5057661284/

Thanks!

Dan Irizarry