[Leps-l] Dainty Sulphur in Virginia

David Hamilton Cox dhcox at nyx.net
Wed Aug 1 22:30:36 EDT 2012

 I took this photo today of a dainty sulphur, in Madison County, Virginia:

http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/dainty2.jpg

 The site was a field, about 3 or 4 acres, with lots of red clover and
dogbane. It's a favorite on my bike ride circuit, with an amazing population
of variegated fritillaries this time of year. I notice that "Butterflies
of the East Coast" (Cech & Tudor) includes several "isolated sighting"
triangles in their range map for this species far north of Florida. The
text in that work mentions two possibilities for these sightings, western
strays or movement up the southeastern coastal plain. I would be interested
to know if this location suggests either one of those scenarios. Also, it
would be interesting to know if there have been any other sightings of this
species in the general area recently. I have a contact I think in the state
DCR who can probably tell me that.

-David Cox