[Leps-l] US-CAN Black Witch records for June 2012

Mike Quinn entomike at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 23:19:07 EDT 2012

2012 may end up as the best year yet for Black Witch Moth (BWM) records.

The only year that comes close is 2004 when I had way more southern
records but not as many northern records. In 2004, I sent out a number
of press releases asking for BWM reports. I now know to never do that
again, at least not in Texas. My phone literally rang off the hook
that year. The best northern June 2004 records I received were from
Iowa and Nebraska.

This June I have records from Manitoba, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and
most surprisingly from MAINE!

This year is also notable for producing more June records from the
southeastern US than I have from previous Junes. The SE, out side of
Louisiana, generally doesn't produce many BWM records as this sp.
mostly emigrates north out of Mexico.

June 2012 records:
http://bugguide.net/bgimage/recent/23779

Previous year's records:
http://www.texasento.net/witchna.htm

Park Hill, (Denver), Colorado
June 28, 2012

Altamont, Manitoba, Canada
June 28, 2012

near Genoa post office, Texarkana, Miller County, Arkansas
June 27, 2012

Pueblo, (Just south of Colorado Springs, along I-25), Pueblo County, Colorado
June 27, 2012

1.25 mi south of Lodgepole, Perkins County, South Dakota
June 26, 2012

Mobile (Dog River), Mobile County, Alabama
June 26, 2012
Size: HUGE

Evans, Columbia County, Georgia
June 19, 2012

Central Alabama Community College campus, Alexander City, Tallapoosa
County, Alabama
June 19, 2012

Fish creek, Door County, Wisconsin
June 16, 2012

Baton Rouge - Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana
June 15, 2012

Lafayette, Lafayette Parish, Louisiana
June 15, 2012

Hutchinson, Reno County, Kansas
June 15, 2012 [approx. date as spmn was found dead]

Wells, York County, Maine
June 9, 2012
http://bugguide.net/node/view/654534
This is a *most* extraordinary record!

First records for TX and AZ:

Beeville, Bee County, Texas
May 8, 2012

Hutchinson Island, Florida
April 2, 2012

No records so far this year from CA. Not included above are numerous
TX June BWM reports that I received.

Mike Quinn, Austin