[Leps-l] FW: luminescent moth - "contrails" ??

MexicoDoug mexicodoug at aim.com
Tue Jul 17 18:27:46 EDT 2012

"Photo of moths at mercury vapor showing "contrails" ???"

Very cool picture Mike thanks for the post - is it missing a ":-)"?

Putting on an astronomy hat Jim, I'd say "contrails" would be
scientifically a misnomer and they are just ordinary "moth trails"
(analogous to the "star trails" astronomers love to photograph) with
nothing else likely going on.  If a crazed moth at a mercury vapor lamp
travels at 5 mph, it will travel during the exposure (Mike diod 1/3
sec) about a half of a yard which seems to be the case if we take the
diameter of the post in the forground as a bit larger due to
perspective of the lens.  So nothing special IMO

-- except a near pun of sorts since contrails are made of upper
atmospheric vapor/ice crystals and the bulb functions using mercury
"vapor" -- ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug