[Leps-l] NBC news item on southern butterflies in Mass

Robert Kriegel kriegelr at msu.edu
Wed Sep 12 09:56:19 EDT 2012

Yes I saw it too.  Very interesting piece.  Yes, the citizen science involves 19 years of statewide butterfly watcher data.  The article was published in Nature in the 8/19/2012 issue and is available online for free at the following URL:

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1663.html

One of the butterly species discussed in the piece is Fiery Skipper.  In Michigan we are now seeing this species regularly even as far north as the Keweenaw peninsula, along with a few others such as the Buckeye.  This shift has occurred within the last 5 years.

Bob Kriegel
Bath, MI