[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Fred Heath fred.heath43 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 23:19:48 EST 2013

Dear Joe,
	Although I haven't observed large numbers of monarchs gathering on
route south like they do on the barrier beaches of Long Island, on the West
Coast they sometimes gather for many weeks in places where the micro-climate
is good early in the fall before heading to their eventual wintering groves
which may be nearby.
	An example is at the mouth of Sycamore Canyon in the Santa Monica
Mountains in Ventura County, CA. They start gathering here in late September
and can number in the hundreds, roosting in the Sycamores just in from the
ocean. In November as the leaves fall off the trees, no longer providing
shelter, the butterflies head to Eucalyptus (which are not deciduous) groves
on the coast which have the right micro-climate through the winter.
------Best regards, Fred