[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Foley, Patrick patfoley at saclink.csus.edu
Fri Feb 15 17:40:55 EST 2013

Now we are talking, Paul!

It does appear that present North American Monarchs show little genetic variation over space (Brower & Bryce 1991). The earlier work of Walter Eanes (~1978) seemed to show that before migration there was little population differentiation, but during the summer some geographic genotypic variation arose (presumably due to local natural selection). This variation disappeared after the annual Spring matings in the south. If Eames is right (or Darwin for that matter), then isolated Monarch populations have the potential to evolve away from the mass migration strategy. Such evolutionary differentiation has not yet appeared in the populations I have heard about (again see Brower & Bryce 1991). But it surely can given enough time.

Carol Chaffee is presently researching Monarch population genetics for her PhD. I do not think her work is published yet, but she has a talk on youtube, that repeats much of what we all know, but does show the scope of her research. This research should help work out how differentiated migratory and nonmigratory populations are.

Monarchs are weedy, widespread butterflies who are not in any danger of extinction. Paul and I and everybody agree on this. We disagree about the rate at which climate and other changes will effect the genetically based migration strategy of Monarchs. This is an empirical problem, and I hope over time, evolutionary genetics research on Monarchs will tell us what we want to know. In the mean time, I think a little caution about Monarch migration invulnerability is warranted. Paul does not feel this way. I can live with that.

Patrick Foley
bees, fleas, flowers, disease
patfoley at csus.edu