[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Chip Taylor chip at ku.edu
Sat Feb 16 12:36:59 EST 2013

Well said. I drove through central IL after Thanksgiving in 2011 and
took lots of back roads through the farmland. You are right, the
narrow margins from the edge of the road to the edge of the field (as
narrow as 6ft in some places) contained virtually nothing for
pollinators, ground nesting birds and rodents that in turn might be
food for raptors and other predators. Aside from the crops and the
grasses, microbes and nematodes, these areas are nearly devoid of
life.

In my lectures, which are joyfully cited out of context, I make the
point that what is happening to monarchs is happening to all the
other organisms that occupy the same habitats and that these changes
are symbolic of larger landscape changes that are underway in the US
and across the planet. That there is resistance to the idea that the
planet is changing or that a once abundant species could decline to
insignificance relative to its past is not surprising. Those who draw
attention to these changes and advocate that we do something to
mitigate the perceived problems are attacked. It goes with the
territory. Negative reviews tend to fall into two categories. The
most common is denial of the problem, an easy position to take and
hold on to fiercely, as long as you can justify not looking at the
data. The second is to declare that the issue is too big to address
and that we can't do anything about it. Quite honestly, this position
is harder to refute. Should we passively accept our fate - one which
we ourselves are contributing to (as Jim points out) - or should we
attempt to do something about it? Should we hedonistically finish our
lives and leave the problems we (and past generations) have created
to the next generation or should we accept some responsibility for
what is happening and try to address the many problems we have
created? From my perspective it is better to fail than to do nothing
at all. And, what will it cost? It's always the cost isn't it? But,
what will it cost to do nothing? What will we loose if we do nothing?

Saving the monarch migration is only partially about this species.
The larger message is that it is in our best interest to save the
habitats used by this species as well as those of all the pollinators
that that provide the services that support the production of the
fruits, nuts, berries, seeds and foliage that support all the other
wildlife - including the leps that most of us find of interest.
Nature has an infrastructure (e.g. 70% of the plants in most
temperate communities require the services of pollinators). Is it in
our best interest to ignore the fact that we are destroying this
infrastructure? I think not.