[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Stan Gorodenski stanlep at commspeed.net
Sun Feb 17 17:03:09 EST 2013

On 2/17/2013 2:50 PM, MexicoDoug wrote:
> Thanks Jim, Thanks Dennis,
>
> Finally, the ugly: I hope anyone reading this knows that my question
> was not whether the test-tube bred corn was detrimental to habitat.  It
> was whether the Bt-Corn pollen, is killing the larvae as the Cornell
> study said it would and was used indiscriminately under what would be
> pseudoscientific pretences to create anarchy in the agricultural
> industry and all of its dependents 12-15 years ago, and was still
> kicking and screaming 10 years ago.  If it didn't, I'm relieved but
> need to re-evaluate the reputation of those who jumped on this
> bandwagon and see whether they fudged their research techniques for the
> purpose distorting truth and advancing an agenda.  Please don't think
> I'm supporting the use of these agricultural techniques.  I need
> Bt-corn in my zone as much as I want to live next to a garbage dump.
> But a balanced approach is imperative where scientific credibility is
> not abused by those who prey on the ignorance of the public perception
> because they feel they have a superior moral calling.  There is no room
> in science for Popes.  In Sagan's words - there are no "scientific
> authorities", just a method and to that I would add a scholarly conduct
> which is as old as science itself, when it branched off from philosophy
> and religion.

Just as an aside and no criticism intended, although Sagan may be right
that there are no "scientific authorities", when he is quoted like this
he in effect is being treated as a scientific authority. Would the quote
have had as much impact if it was attributed to, say, John Zilchbach?
Who's he? Oh, he teaches 3rd and 4th graders in a Louisiana Bayou
elementary school. :-)
Stan