[Leps-l] [leps-talk] Monarch Armageddon

Foley, Patrick patfoley at saclink.csus.edu
Wed Feb 20 02:15:40 EST 2013

Paul,

As we have discussed at great length on other listservs, parasites have apparently caused range collapse in several Bombus species in North America, including Bombus occidentalis.

The present understanding is that these parasites were transferred from bee breeding facilities in Europe.

As I have also pointed out to you, population biology, especially epidemiology, does not have linear dynamics. Small perturbations can have enormous effects.

PhD ecologists are often wrong, in fact sure to be wrong since the world does not fit our ideas perfectly. But they are not just conspiring to create alarm.

Patrick Foley
bees, fleas, flowers, disease
patfoley at csus.edu