[Leps-l] monarchs, reversal of orientation and overwintering temperatures

Chuck Vaughn aa6g at aa6g.org
Thu Feb 21 23:06:24 EST 2013

What bothers me about press releases like this is the lack of historical perspective and the apparent lack of curiosity about the past.

I don't know the answers to these questions but I think about them anyway.

How long has the monarch migration been going on?

Does it extend back to the last ice age and beyond?

How was it impacted by earlier warm periods like the Medieval Warm Period, the Roman Warm Period and earlier warm periods, all of which have been shown to be as warm or warmer than today?

I assume monarchs were around during the last ice age. What was their behavior then? Did the migration shift south?

Assuming the speculation part of this study is correct, did the migration stop during past periods of higher temperatures? If they did stop then they must have resumed during cooler periods. Why would it be assumed that if they stopped in a warmer world today that they could never resume in a future cooler period?

Is it possible that the migration just shifts north during warmer periods?

Why do the authors of a paper that must have had required a lot work feel it necessary to add what appears to many of us as speculation in a press release? Are the direct results of the work not interesting enough?

Maybe the subject of research for their next paper should be to determine at what temperature the migration stops. Or did they do this here?

Until someone can explain to me how the migration persisted through warmer and cooler periods in the past but can now no longer do so, I can't help but be skeptical of the fragility of the migration.

If my idea that the migration shifts north or south with temperature could be proven correct then that would be a strong argument for a robust migration.

Chuck