[Leps-l] Bioblitz near New Orleans (May 17 - 18) seeking insect experts

Matthew Shepherd mdshepherd at xerces.org
Mon Mar 11 09:28:02 EDT 2013

I'm just passing along this information. If you have questions, please visit
the website below or contact one of the two NPS staff. Thanks.

Matthew

*************************

The National Geographic Society (NGS) and the National Park Service (NPS)
are organizing a BioBlitz at Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and
Preserve on May 17-18, 2013. We are currently recruiting field biologists,
naturalists and taxonomic experts to participate in this wonderful, free,
public event that will take place just outside of New Orleans. We hope to
finalize the 2013 team this month and would love your help in getting the
word out to The Xerces Society.

A BioBlitz is a unique combination of taxonomic inventory, public outreach,
and science education. At its core, Bioblitz is a species inventory in which
teams of volunteers, each led by an expert scientist, find, identify, and
map as many species as possible within a 24-hour period. While the inventory
is not exhaustive, it can nevertheless yield valuable biogeographic
information; it raises awareness about biodiversity with the general pubic
and school children; and hopefully inspires the next generation of field
biologists. The 2013 BioBlitz is the seventh in a ten-year NPS-NGS series in
anticipation for the National Park Services' Centennial in 2016.

Online scientist registration is now open and we hope to enlist more than
150 scientists/naturalists to lead approximately 2,000-4,000 students and
citizen scientists throughout the Barataria Preserve, a beautiful 23,500
acres of coastal wetlands landscape.  To register and for more information
about the project go to
<http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/projects/bioblitz/bioblitz-la-2
013-scientist>
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/projects/bioblitz/bioblitz-la-20
13-scientist.  Interested scientists/experts can also call either Dr.
Catherine Workman at  <tel:%28202%29%20857-7106> (202) 857-7106 or Dr. Julie
Whitbeck at  <tel:%28504%29%20589-3882%20x118> (504) 589-3882 x118.