[Leps-l] eButterfly Announcement on LepsL

Gall, Lawrence lawrence.gall at yale.edu
Fri Mar 29 15:12:31 EDT 2013

Forwarding the following announcement to LEPS-L about the "eButterfly" informatics project, on behalf of Katy Prudic.

- - -

Lawrence F. Gall, Ph.D.

Head, Computer Systems Office
Informatics Manager, Entomology
Executive Editor, Peabody Publications
Lepidoptera Section Editor, Zootaxa

Peabody Museum of Natural History
P.O. Box 208118, Yale University
New Haven, CT 06520-8118 USA
http://www.peabody.yale.edu

email: lawrence.gall at yale.edu<mailto:lawrence.gall at yale.edu>
phone: 1-203-432-9892
FAX:  1-203-432-9816

>From fields or fens, mountaintops to meadows, even backyards and gardens, we're all recording our butterfly sightings in notebooks, spreadsheets or with digital cameras. What if we could join all of these checklists together into a massive, shared database of North American butterflies? With hundreds of thousands of checklists, what could we learn about their status, conservation and natural history?

Welcome to e-Butterfly<http://www.e-butterfly.org> (http://www.e-butterfly.org/), a checklist database where you can share and organize your butterfly sightings, photos and collections, find new species, track your life list, and contribute to butterfly science and conservation.

The e-Butterfly online submission protocol has many advantages for users:

*         Streamlined database entry forms

*         No more typos with foolproof species name and taxonomic authority entry

*         Easy access and download of your personal butterfly database

*         Personal state/provincial and national species lists

*         Your own virtual butterfly collection

*         Your data is safely backed up for you

*         Standardized taxonomy approved, revised and continually updated by leading taxonomists

Check out the quick start guide for entering data on e-Butterfly. For easier use, we recommend updating your Internet Explorer <http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/info/downloads/default.html> browser and reading<http://www.e-butterfly.org/contents/tutorial> or watching<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCH2Ky-Fzw&feature=youtu.be> the tutorials.

After familiarizing yourself with e-Butterfly, record submission becomes second nature. It's faster with fewer errors than entering data into an excel spreadsheet and your data is automatically backed up.

Curious? Login and explore e-Butterfly. Find out what butterflies other users might have found flying already in your region. View collections of photographs, checklists and more. You'll soon want to get started on adding your observations, past and present, to help build the greatest continent-wide database of butterflies ever assembled.

Join the growing community of butterfly enthusiasts, conservationists, and scientists on e-Butterfly. Together we can better understand how global changes are impacting butterfly biodiversity and distribution across North America.

We look forward to seeing you!

The eButterfly Team
eButterflyusa at gmail.com<mailto:eButterflyusa at gmail.com>