[Leps-l] Larva Identification, Central Virginia

David Hamilton Cox dhcox at nyx.net
Tue Jan 7 20:31:42 EST 2014

 I would greatly appreciate any help identifying these two larvae, both
seen this past summer in Madison County, Virginia.

 1. http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/larva1.jpg

 Taken on August 30, on catnip, at the parking lot for the Limberlost trail in
Shenandoah National Park. Trying to identify this has had the beneficial
effect of me finally paying more attention to the "Morphology" section of
Wagner's field guide. In there he says "The number and relative sizes of the
prolegs are often a clue to a caterpillar's identity." It looks like this
caterpillar has prolegs on a5 and a6 only. Next time I will know to pay
more attention to this in the field. In any case I could find nothing that
looked like this in that guide. It was about 2 inches long, at least.

 2. http://www.nyx.net/~dhcox/larva2.jpg

 Taken on August 29 in my yard. I assume this is a slug caterpillar; perhaps
an early instar of Natada nasoni, Nason's slug? That's the closest match I
could find in the field guide. It was maybe a third of an inch long.

 Thanks!

-David