[Leps-l] The Xerces Society Announces the 2016 Joan Mosenthal DeWind Award Winners

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Mon Mar 28 18:54:43 EDT 2016

> Monarch butterflies are undergoing a long-term population decline.
> Although different factors are hypothesized to cause this decline,
> one potential factor is the exposure of their milkweed host plants
> to neonicotinoid insecticides when growing in close proximity to
> agricultural fields.

The wildflowers and syriaca milkweed plants that are growing next to
the vast corn and soybean fields in the upper Midwest are teaming
with monarch butterflies, other butterflies and bumblebees like this
despite the fact that those crops are grown from neonicotinoid coated
seeds:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DOoPdnTepKok&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=tVAKMFPe3UCcsMWUFXo0FeX0xe1JUAj77B74DAI3DKI&m=IR1Eur62NF465yg8v4j0Y7W4Gf7I10i1AMCgOr3hn3Q&s=5F1ShoDKKCj5OLh0dPg4X2NYdp4j0gfKj6s_U6Ou1cg&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DqeC8-2DrnxenI&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=tVAKMFPe3UCcsMWUFXo0FeX0xe1JUAj77B74DAI3DKI&m=IR1Eur62NF465yg8v4j0Y7W4Gf7I10i1AMCgOr3hn3Q&s=zGk8LyF_DKu8FxVLtFIoPKdDTb9ekspRaxM5maTOOds&e=

So it would be a real stretch look a midwestern farmer in the eye with a
straight face and say: “mind if we use your property to try and determine
if the neonicotinoid insecticides you use might be a significant cause of
the midwestern monarch population decline?”

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.