[Leps-l] DesertLeps

Stan Gorodenski stanlep at commspeed.net
Sun Aug 6 16:03:45 EDT 2017

All,
I may have posted here years in the past about a yahoo discussion group
called DesertLeps, but do not remember. I have been given permission by
the moderator/owner of this group to post this message.

I am the listowner of the discussion group called DesertLeps. I have it
set up so that only members can view posts. I did this for a number of
reasons. However, I believe, but not certain, that it is because of this
a search on the word 'DesertLeps' does not bring up any information
about the group. Hence, the primary reason for this post.

DesertLeps was created in 2006. The purpose statement, number of
members, and posting frequency by members over the past months and years
can be seen at:

The geographic area of the group includes essentially everything west of
the Mississippi. However, it is not my philosophy to run a rigid
inflexible group and so at times posts include information about
lepidoptera from other parts of the country (and world). This is allowed
because I feel it can hurt discussions and the understanding of
lepidoptera within the formal geographic area of the group by excluding
information just because that information might be about Lepidoptera
outside the formal geographic area of the discussion group. This
philosophy, i.e., not running a rigid inflexible group, is also true for
topics of discussion. As long as a subject matter is related to
lepidoptera, which for this group includes both butterflies and moths,
it is allowed.

The purpose statement of DesertLeps, as stated in the above link to the
group, is
"... to promote the exchange of information and discussions of
lepidopteran taxa (both butterflies and moths) across political
boundaries for states with desert areas (e.g., traditionally recognized
deserts as well as other desert like conditions such as ”high deserts”)
which includes: California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado,
Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, and Texas. Included also
are the Mexican desert areas, including Baja California, peripatric to
the U.S. border. Topics of discussion can include rearing, taxonomy,
systematics, biogeography (which encompasses sightings), genetics,
population genetics(genomics), phylogenetics, evolution, curatorial
practices, conservation, life histories, and any other aspects of
lepidoptera. The intent is for this group to be an outlet for the less
than professional lepidopterist (watchers, recreational collectors,
etc.), as well as for professional and the non-professionally educated
or trained lepidopterist that get into the science of lepidoptera."

If you would like to become a member send an email message to
desertleps-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
I don't think it matters what you put in the 'Subject' field but
'Subscribe DesertLeps' would work. If you have problems joining you can
contact me at
stanlep at commspeed.net

Sincerely,
Stan Gorodenski