[Mendele] Mendele Volume 18 number 14

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Mon Dec 15 19:55:02 EST 2008

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 18.014
December 9, 2008

1) Terminology for female genitalia
2) Terminology for female genitalia
3) Terminology for female genitalia

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  December 1, 2008
Subject: Terminology for female genitalia

My father was from Poland and the word he always used for female genitalia
was gesheft (place of business), not that it implied that it actually was.
My mom was from Romania and the word used by her and her sisters depended
on their mood. Gesheft was also the colloquial term, but if they were in a
particularly feisty mood the word was putze (sound out the English word put
and add a tzadik.) They often used to use curse words and words for
genitals in Russian, which for some reason did not have the buzz that
Yiddish words had. A funny story though: When my uncle was in Maimonides
Hospital, dying of cancer, he was afflicted for a few days with a terrible
itching that the doctors did not take seriously enough for my Tante Sonia.
His doctor was a woman who was a particularly cold person, and had a
bedside manner only Mengele could appreciate. After a few instances of
pleading for her to help get rid of the itching, my aunt said in front of
her, "Zol zi nor hobn a basinish (baysenish) azoy tif in gesheft az zi zol
es nisht kenen dergreykhn mit a toilet-bershtl!!! (She should have an itch
so deep in her gesheft that she can't reach it with a toilet brush). If you
ask me, that belongs up there with the beds in 1,000 rooms, the chandeliers
candles and heads in the ground.

Harvey Varga

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: December 7, 2008

Michael Wex's "Just Say Nu," which I mentioned in an earlier communication,
addresses this topic toward the end of the book.

Mike (Shija Myer) Hirsch

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: December 2, 2008

The most common term in my grandmother's and mother's households was knish.
I remember as a child overhearing my mother and her sisters speaking quite
sarcastically of one of their contemporary female acquaintances as a
"shtikl knish," meaning, I think, that she was sexually forward or that she
put on airs. Another term with occasionally pejorative meaning was "lokh."
Although I did not heard these terms used often, I remember hearing the
grown men using these terms too. I'd be curious to learn of Ms. Avery's
findings.

Hershl Bershady

End of Mendele Vol. 18.014

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead,
direct your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e.
announcements of events,
commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the
like) to:

    victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and
comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

     mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear
in your
posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.
Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email
addresses, as

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters.

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm