[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 19.006

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Wed Jul 15 15:34:17 EDT 2009

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 19.006
July 15, 2009

1) Yiddish older than German (Charles Nydorf)
2) Yiddish Declaration of Independence (Hershl Hartman)
3) eyer-kikhl (Harriet Weinstein)
4) eyer-kikhl (Zelig Preis)
5) oybst, kazyoner (Eliezer (Lazar) Greisdorf)
6) I.B.Singer's "Tayves" (Norman Buder)
7) Yiddish OCR (Refoyl Finkel)
8) Sh. Bastomski's archive (Jordana de Bloeme)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  July 6, 2009
Subject: Yiddish older than German

I have added some new material to the blog, Gothic-Yiddish.blogspot.com,
which addresses the early Germanic foundations of Yiddish. Included are
etymological notes on "oyganes," "s'gayes," and "skotsl" as well a
discussion of the development of short "o" in Germanic. The latter
presents evidence that Yiddish is older than Old High German. A discussion
of  "klezmer" shows that this Hebrew-origin word may have a cognate in 4th
century Gothic.

Charles Nydorf

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  July 4, 2009
Subject:  Yiddish Declaration of Independence

On this 233rd anniversary of the public announcement of the Declaration of
Independence by the Continental Congress, let it be noted that, when the
printed Declaration was issued in Philadelphia  (7/8/1776), Yoyne ben
Fayvish -- Anglicized asJonas Phillips -- bought a copy and sent it to a
friend in Amsterdam, accompanied by aletter...in Yiddish!

(See Schappes, Morris U., The Jews in the United States, The Citadel
Press, N.Y., 1958.)

Hershl Hartman

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: July 6, 2009
Subject: eyer-kikhl

The eyer-kikhlekh that I remember from my childhood were the size and
shape of large soup bowls. They had a delicious only slightly sweet, eggy
taste. They were thick and substantial. I haven't seen anything like them
in almost 50 years. I used to buy them for a few cents at the European
Kosher Bakery on Van Horne and Davaar in Montreal. Does anyone know where
I can still buy these?

Harriet Weinstein

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  July 16, 2009

Josh Price asks about eyer-kikhl; I wonder if his family came from Europe
and what country.

Zelig Preis

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date: June 26, 2009
Subject:  oybst, kazyoner

Two of the words Frida Cielak asked about rang a bell.  "Obst"  in German
means fruit.  Ithen checked my Russian dictionary and found that
"kaziyonyi" means state, government, fiscal, public, etc.  As I remember,
the word in Yiddish was used for
someone who lives at the government's expense like a pensioner.

Eliezer (Lazar) Greisdorf

6)----------------------------------------------------
Date: July 3, 2009
Subject:  I.B. Singer's "Tayves"

I. B. Singer's short story "Passions" (Tayves) consists of three stories
told by three different narrators.  The third story is about a Hasidic
rebbe, Mendele Bekhtever.Toward the end a question is raised about how he
died.  The answer is that it happened when he was leading services at the
pulpit and reciting the liturgical poem "Odom Bame Yizake" (in Sephardic
pronunciation: "Adam Bame Yizake").  He died after he chanted the words
"Bitfila uvitsdaka yarbe, ulay miyesurin yekhabe" (Sephardic
=pronunciation).

I have searched for this piyut in a Makhzor for Yom Kippur and in a
Makhzor for Rosh Hashanah, but somehow it has eluded me.  Can anyone
locate this poem and tell me precisely where in the liturgy it is to be
found?

With many thanks,
Norman Buder

7)----------------------------------------------------
Date: July 15, 2009
Subject:  Yiddish OCR

I have placed an experimental facility on the web for converting
black-and-white TIFF
images of printed Yiddish text into Unicode.

The site is

         http://www.cs.uky.edu/~raphael/yiddish/yiddishOCR.html

If you try this facility, please let me know how it works for you.

Refoyl Finkel

8)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  July 11, 2009
Subject: Sh. Bastomski's archive

Does anyone know where I might find Yiddish pedagogue and folklorist
Shloyme Bastomski's (1891-1941) archive, if one does indeed exist?

Thanks,
Jordana de Bloeme
End of Mendele Vol. 19.006

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events,
commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the like)
to:

    victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

     mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear
in your posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.
Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email
addresses, as responses will be posted for all to read.

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when applicable, as closely as possible to standard
English punctuation, grammar, etc. and to the YIVO rules of
transliteration into Latin letters. A guide to Romanization can be found

at this site: http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm

To join or leave the list: