[Mendele] Mendele, vol. 20.004

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Fri Sep 10 16:35:35 EDT 2010

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 20.004
September 11, 2010

1) CYCO (Arieh Lebowitz)
2) nisim venifloes (Al Grand)
3) nisim venifloes (Heather Valencia)
4) nisim venifloes (Moyshe Horwitz)
5) shtepnmakher, kholivkes (Icek Mozes)
6) shtepnmakher, kholivkes (Eliezer (Lazar) Greisdorf)
7) shtepnmakher, kholivkes  (Perl Teitelbaum)
8) Dovid Fram (Petr Jan Vin)
9) Dovid Fram (Eliezer Niborski)

Leshone toyve! A gut, gezunt yor ale Mendele-leyeners!

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 30, 2010
Subject: CYCO

I'm looking for some basic information on the Central Yiddish Culture
Organization, often known as CYCO. When was it formed, where, why, who
were the key people and/or organizations involved, what different
addresses was it at from founding to now?   There was a fourth conference
of CYCO in 1944 - where and when were the first three?  Subsequent
conferences? Were there any organizational congresses? And sources for
further information? How difficult would it be to compile a list of things
CYCO published over the years?

Arieh Lebowitz

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 25, 2010
Subject: nisim venifloes

In regard to Shimon Frank's inquiry regarding a song having the rhythmic
refrain "ay yay yay yay  ay yay yay! nisim un nifloes! - I remember my
mother singing the following:

"Der rebbe bavayzt a vunder - ikh hob aleyn gezen
Er geyt arayn in vaser un kumt aroys a naser
ay yay yay yay  ay yay yay!
nisim mit nifloes!"

Hope this helps.

Mit di hartsikste grusn,
Al Grand

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 25, 2010

(gentle) fun at the Hasidic rebbe is printed on page 130 of Eleanor and
Joseph Mlotek's "Songs of Generations" published by the Workmen's  Circle,
New York.

Heather Valencia

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: September 4

Mayn tate fleg zingen, "der rebe gayt in vaser un kimt aroys a naser."

Moyshe Horwitz

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 29, 2010
Subject:  shtepnmakher, kholivkes

My father (92) knew immediately what kholivkes and shtepnmakher meant. Er
hot gezogt az er fleygt shtepn kholivkes in rusland ven er un zayne brider
hobn gemakht shikh tsu farkoyfn afn shvartsn market in der tsayt fun krig.

Kholivkes and kholyeves were the uppers of a shoe or boot, respectively,
and shtepn was the process of taking a hide of leather and cutting,
shaping, sewing, and finishing it into kholivkes that would then be given
to the shister to assemble with other parts and materials into
ready-to-wear shoes.

My father accented the first syllable of kholivkes and shtepn, but put the
accent on the second syllable of kholyeves.

Regards,
Icek Mozes
6)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 28, 2010

I am a Litvak born in Wilno.  The term that comes to mind is
kamashn-shteper.  This refers to the tradesman who applies the upper part
of a high boot to the lower part; shtepn means to sew.  I have never heard
of this word to mean quilting.  Furthermore, in my Uriel Weinreich
dictionary I found kamash to mean "gaiter, spat, low-laced boot."

Eliezer (Lazar) Greisdorf
7)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 25, 2010

My father (born in Goworowo, Poland 1910, died in NY in 2004), who had
many occupations throughout his life first started working as a
kamashn-shteper or cholewkarz/kholewkarz. You are right. Cholewkarz is
Polish for uppers maker, and kamashn-shteper is the Yiddish term.   My
father used both terms. He used to make all the parts of a shoe, or boot,
except the sole.

Perl Teitelbaum
7)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 25, 2010
Subject: Dovid Fram

Dovid Fram is indeed a very interesting topic for research. I am already
looking forward reading your thesis in the future.
To your question whether Fram was reading Romantics I can say the
following: I do not know about work of Keats, Wordsworth or other English
Romantics being available in Yiddish in early 20th century Lithuania, but
I think you should consider the influence of the Russian poets of the so
called "Golden Age of Russian Poetry."  It would be like Pushkin,
Lermontov, Tyutchev and others. As a student of the Russian gymnazium and
a fluent speaker of Russian David Fram was surely familiar with their
works. And as far as I remember some of the Fram's works, such a
comparison would be quite promising, I think.

All the best

Petr Jan Vin
8)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 25, 2010

Tayere Mendele-leyener.

Fraynd Hazel Frankel fregt zikh nokh in Mendele Vol. 20.002, vegn dem
yidishn poet Dovid Fram, vegn zayn bakantshaft mit di englishe romantiker,
un vegn hashpoes oyf im fun andere yidishe poetn.

Es iz ale mol keday a kuk tsu ton, vos me ken gefinen vegn dem alemen
inemIndeks tsu der Yidisher Periodik (IYP), oyfn vayterdikn adres:

http://yiddish-periodicals.huji.ac.il/

Keyn gor groyse antplekungen tor men nisht dervartn, nor me ken lemoshl
zen dortn di biblyografishe protim fun a finf retsenzies un artiklen vegn
Dovid Fram, gedrukte in Varshe un Nyu-York in di yorn 1932-1934.

Me ken oykh zen dortn az azelkhe englishe poetn vi Keats un Wordsworth hot
men take ibergezetst oyf yidish, un az teyl iberzetsungen hobn zikh
gedrukt in di zelbe literarishe zhurnaln, vu Dovid Fram hot publikirt
zayne lider.

Es varft zikh oykh in di oygn Dovid Frams a lid, gedrukt in 1933 in di
Literarishe Bleter (Varshe), vos heybt zikh on mitn ferz "A briv fun
Leyvikn, fun Leyvikn mayn rebn."

Zayt azoy gut, fraynd Frankel, un lozt visn ale Mendele-leyener vegn ayere
oysgefinsn.

Mit grusn un beste vuntshn alemen oyf a gezunt un hatslokhedik yor,

Eliezer Niborski
End of Mendele Vol. 20.003

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events, commercial publications, requests to which responses should be
sent exclusively to the request's author, etc., always in plain text (no
HTML or the like) to:

    victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

     mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear
in your posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.
Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email
addresses, as responses will be posted for all to read.  They must also
include the author's name as you would like it to appear.

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when applicable, as closely as possible to standard
English punctuation, grammar, etc. and to the YIVO rules of
transliteration into Latin letters. A guide to Romanization can be found
at this site: http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://mendele.commons.yale.edu/

To join or leave the list: