[Mendele] Mendele: Yiddish literature and language Vol. 21.008

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sun Nov 27 14:59:20 EST 2011

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 21.008
November 24, 2011

1) kheshvn vs. kheshbn (Alan Shuchat)
2) "Tsugeklept" (Ann Rabinowitz)
3) Translation of "Mirele Efros" (Barnett Zumoff)
4) Translation of "Mirele Efros" (Beth Kaplan)
5) Translation of "Mirele Efros" (Ruth Murphy)
6) Map for the different sandhi types: f [is/uz] benkl (Joshua Lebenswerd)
7) shtetl nicknames (Martin Jacobs)
8) spodik (Rose Jimenez)
9) Source for a certain Yismechu? (Jeff Warschauer)

Subject: kheshvn vs. kheshbn
Date: November 23

Is there a regional form of Yiddish where a settling of accounts is
pronounced kheshvn instead of kheshbn? My mother says kheshvn, and I
wonder if she's just remembering incorrectly or if in fact that's how it
was said in southern Ukraine (Mogilev-Podolskiy) or Bessarabia (Soroki),
where she came from as a child.

Alan Shuchat