[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 22.010

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sat Feb 9 21:16:30 EST 2013

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 22.010
February 8, 2013

1) Death of Joseph Landis (Nora Glickman)
2) Call for MLA Papers: Joseph C. Landis, In Memoriam (Alan Astro)
3) 16th Symposium for Yiddish Studies in Germany, 16-18 September 2013
(Marion Aptroot)
4) "Der feter flegt gebn tsu farzikhn dos ey" (Jane Peppler)
5) Steiner Summer Yiddish Program (National Yiddish Book Center)
6) Mickey Katz lyrics sought (Joshua London)
7) Findjan (Itzhak Luden)
8) translation of Yitzhak Erlichson's "Mayne fir yor in soviet-rusland"
(Maurice Wolfthal)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: January 20
Subject: death of Joseph Landis

We mourn the passing of Joseph Landis, on Sunday, January 6, 2013. He had
served as
the Editor of Yiddish/Modern Jewish Studies since 1975. Joe was a vehement
advocate of
Yiddish literature. His many translations (The Dybbuk and Other Great
Yiddish Plays,
1966), his personal recollections of the Yiddish world (Memoirs of the
Yiddish
Stage, 1984), and his numerous, insightful articles chronicle the growth of
Yiddish
literature, its importance and its gradual fading after the second World
War. Joe's essays
brought vigor to Yiddish language and literature, and made it accessible to
many
American readers. At Queens College, the Yiddish and Jewish Studies Program
thrived
under his leadership throughout the nineteen sixties and seventies, in
particular with his
Sholem Aleichem Festivals, which attracted many Jewish celebrities and the
interest and
participation of the New York Jewish communities.

Nora Glickman

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 6
Subject: Call for MLA Papers: Joseph C. Landis, In Memoriam

The American Association of Professor of Yiddish (AAPY) is soliciting
proposals for
MLA papers on topics studied by Joseph C. Landis, the late founder of our
association.

His interests included, but were certainly not limited to, An-sky, Asch,
Hirschbein,
Leivick, Philip Roth, Isaac Bashevis Singer and Yiddish theater memoirs.

Yiddish sources do not have to be employed, but use of Joe's research or
translations
would be very appreciated.

Please send abstracts of 150 to 300 words by March 15 to the AAPY liaison
to the MLA: Alan Astro at aastro at trinity.edu.

FYI: The MLA will take place in Chicago on January 9-12, 2014. We make sure
that our session does not occur on or too close to the Sabbath.

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: January 22
Subject: 16th Symposium for Yiddish Studies in Germany, 16-18 September 2013

The 16th Symposium for Yiddish Studies in Germany will be held 16-18
September 2013
at Trier University. This annual Yiddish Symposium is organized alternately
by the
Chairs for Yiddish Studies at the universities of Trier and Dusseldorf and
is intended to
offer students and scholars the possibility to present their research,
exchange ideas and
put forward questions for discussion.

You are invited to submit abstracts for 20 min. papers until May 1, 2013 to
jiddisch at uni-trier.de. Presentations can be held in Yiddish or German.

As usual, all fields of research within Yiddish Studies will be considered.
Interdisciplinary papers with a connection to Yiddish Studies are welcome.

The symposium is open to all interested in Yiddish Studies.

We are also happy to answer questions.

Marion Aptroot (Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf) and Simon Neuberg
(University
of Trier)

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: January 22
Subject: "Der feter flegt gebn tsu farzikhn dos ey"

Hello friends,

In a song about hamavdil, I encountered this phrase, "Der feter flegt gebn
tsu farzikhn
(farzukhn) dos ey."

The uncle said it's time to find the eggs? Is this an end-of-Shabbos custom
somewhere, or
have I entirely misread this line?

Thanks,
Jane Peppler

[Moderator's note: The southern Yiddish form "farzikhn"  - to try (food) -
used by Jane
Peppler is given here in its Standard Yiddish pronunciation: farzukhn.]

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date: December 12
Subject:  Steiner Summer Yiddish Program

Apply Now!
http://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/steiner-summer-program-application-2013

The Yiddish Book Center Steiner Summer Yiddish Program offers college
students a
seven-week, six credit, tuition-free, exploration of Yiddish language and
culture. The
program includes beginning and intermediate Yiddish language instruction
and Yiddish
culture classes. The program runs from June 9-July 26, 2013. Six
undergraduate college
credits will be available through the University of Massachusetts. Limited
housing
subsidies are available, based on need. The 2013 Steiner Summer Yiddish
Program is
open to all full-time college students under the age of 26. To learn more
and to apply
(applications are due by February 10, 2013)

Date: December 29
Subject: Mickey Katz lyrics sought

Does anyone know if the lyrics to any of Mickey Katz's spoof or comedic
Yiddish-English songs have been published and/or are otherwise available?

Thank you,

Joshua London

7)----------------------------------------------------
Date: January  24
Subject: Findjan

Bella Bryks-Klein has brought. Itzhak Luden's reply to the queries
concerning the
Yiddish version of Findjan:

As to the question who translated Haim Hefer's song Findjan into Yiddish, I
have the
pleasure to inform you that the authorized translator of his song was I,
Itzhak Luden. In
1967, Haim Hefer asked me to translate his song.

Ikh hob dem Findjan ibergezetst tsuzamen mit andere lider un a greserer
tsol "makames"
vos zenen in zelbn yor glaykh nokh der zeks-tagiker milkhome gevorn
aroysgegebn
durkh Amikam Gurevitch in Farlag "Amikam" in album-forem gehilt in yuta un
ilustrirt
fun dem velt-barimtn "Dada" - kinstler Marcel Yanku a. n. "Misdar
Halokhamim" un in
mayn yiddisher iberzetsung a.n. "Kemfer-parad" mit an araynfir-vort fun dem
Premier
Levi Eshkol spetsyel far der yidisher iberzetsung.

Itzhak Luden, Tel Aviv

---------

The authorized text is below:

"Der Findjan" / Haim Hefer

Yidish: Itzhak Luden      Muzik: Armenisher Folks-motif

Der vint blozt on afher, s'iz kalt

Derlangt a por tsvaygn fun vald

Un vifil s'iz koyekh faran

Dos fayer tseblozt mitn flam.

Es tsindn zikh flamen

Mir zingn tsuzamen

Arum geyt arum der findjan

Tsuzing: Tra, Tralala. un azoy vayter

Vos iz do tsu redn a sakh?

A mayster iz er in dem fakh

Git kave un tsuker un dan

Nor tsugisn vaser in kan

Dan tsvey mol afkokhn

Azoy vi farshprokhn

Arum geyt arum der findjan

Tsuzing: Tra, Tralala. un azoy vayter

Dermont der findjan zikh di nakht

Ven khevre gekumen fun shlakht

Vi Motkele mit zayn nagan

Gevorfn fun kas hot zikh dan.

Es klingt nokh in oyer

Der tsar un der troyer

Arum geyt arum der findjan

Tsuzing: Tra, Tralala. un azoy vayter

Es geyen di yorn farbay

Un s'kumen af doyres funsnay

Keyn fremder vet keynmol farshteyn

Fun zemer dem zin un dem kheyn.

Der kenfer vet konen

Zikh tomid dermonen

Dem eybikn krayz fun findjan

Tsuzing: Tra, Tralala. un azoy vayter

8)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 4
Subject: translation of Yitzhak Erlichson's "Mayne fir yor in
soviet-rusland"

I am pleased to announce the publication of my translation of the Gulag
memoir, Mayne
fir yor in sovyet-rusland(My Four Years in Soviet Russia), written by
Yitzhak Erlichson,
first published in 1953. It will appear in April.

Maurice Wolfthal

End of Mendele Vol. 22.010

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events,
commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the like)
to:

victor.bers at yale.edu (IMPORTANT: in the subject line write "Mendele
Personal")

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and
comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT: Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your
posting. No posting will appear without its author's name. Submissions to
regular
Mendele should not include personal email addresses in the body of the
message, as
plain text (no
HTML or the like).

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters, which are explained
in summary form
at

http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275
<http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275> .

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://mendele.commons.yale.edu/

Please note the Mendele website is currently down. Issues starting with
Vol. 18.004
(July 3, 2008) up to the most recent can be found at
http://mailman.yale.edu/pipermail/mendele/