[Mendele] Mendele: Yiddish literature and language Vol. 23.002

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Mon Jun 17 21:38:10 EDT 2013

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 23.002
June 15, 2013

1) bafufket (Ellen Cassedy)
2) folg mir a gang (Dina Lévias)
3) folg mir a gang (Stanley F. Levine)
4) folg mir a gang (Noyekh Miller)
5) Lomir ale in eynem (Martin Davis)
6) “The Exile Book of Yiddish Women Writers” (Freydl Forman)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: May 24
Subject: bafufket

“Bafufket” was used in our family to mean “agitated, upset, wigged out.”
Where does
this word come from? Is there a verb “fufken” or “bafufken”?

Ellen Cassedy

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: May 15
Subject: folg mir a gang

Folg mir a derikhgang, or, shorter, “folg mir a gang !”

If I may add my two-cents' worth : I heard my mother using this expression,
(my childish
ear captured it as “fal mir a gang”) when she meant exactly what Morrie
Feller cites, i.e.
“that's a long way to go !” -or, more colloquially,” - what? all the way
over there ? that's
in the back of beyond !”

As for “derikh gang,” here we have “derekh”, i.e. Hebrew for road - that
would fit with
the meaning, and might have been quite plausibly used by some.

Matys Velvel Steinbuch's valiant attempt at an explanation is, I fear, a
bit “off” !
(“As for “derikh,” this is merely “durkh” - (German and Yiddish) for
“through” - and it's
just tacked on to the front of “gang.”) However, Velvel is right when he
notes that the
literal translation (“follow my path”) does not come anywhere near to the
ironic tone in
the usage of the phrase !
A classic pitfall for translators: translating words and not what is meant
!!

Dina Lévias

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: May 16

Di mame hot genitst di oysdruk “folg mir a gang” in shaykhes mit an ort vos
iz vayt un
shver tsu dergreykhn, un bilderish tsu meynen epes is zeyer komplitsirt,
(oder) bli sofek,
ummeglekh tsu dergreykhn, tsu realizirn.

'kh'ken zikh ober nisht dermonen oyb zi hot gezogt folg mikh oder folg mir
a gang.

Stanley F Levine

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: May 13

Matys Velvel Steinbuch (Mendele 23.001) suggests that the Yiddish "durkh"
is the
source of "derekh". Maybe.  A far more likely source is the Hebrew "derekh"
which
means precisely the same as "gang."  In short, a play on words by a
Yiddishist who was
proud of his Hebrew.

Noyekh Miller