[Mendele] Mendele

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sun Feb 2 14:52:29 EST 2014

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language Vol.23.015

Contents of Vol. 23.015
January 29, 2014

1) shabash (Dina Levias)
2) Mendele's "Dos Kelbl" (Hershl Hartman)
3) roundtable at YIVO on Jewish-Lithuanian relations (Leah Falk)
4) tekse (Meyshe Sweet)
5) Yiddish Romanization tool (Paula Grossman)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: December 28, 2013
Subject: shabash

- "Does anybody know such a word in Yiddish and if so from where?"

Well, Alexis, and Mendelyaner khaverim, the word sounded Turkish to me, but
since I
don't know Turkish, I thought I'd see whether by chance it might have been
adopted in
Russian..
a wild idea !
And, lo' and behold: it is mentioned in my 1961 edition of Smirnitsky's
Russian-English
dictionary, not once, but twice!
With the tonic accent on the first syllable, SHAbash, it is "sabbath", and
even "witches'
Sabbath."
With the tonic accent on the second syllable, shaBASH:
1) colloquially: "no more of this", "enough.." (in Brooklynese: enough
already!)
2) Maritime: "ship oars!, way enough!"
And
3) as a verb, colloquially: "leave off work, knock off work" -(i.e. to play
hooky)

Best New Year's wishes to you, linguists all!
Dina Levias

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: December 27
Subject: Mendele's "Dos Kelbl"

editions,
refining the Yiddish and often providing parenthetic explanations of
Talmudic and other
citations from sforim. Yiddish literary critics count these revisions as
among Mendele's
major contributions to the modernization of Yiddish literature.

Based on its selection of a 1930s Warsaw edition of "Shloyme reb Khayims"
for
digitization, I'm assuming that the Yiddish Book Center selected its copies
of Mendele's
works that were in best condition. The cited edition, for example,
transliterates
Hebrew/Aramaic words, apparently for the benefit of a secularized
readership. The
library at UCLA has a much earlier edition, the pages of which are yellowed
and the
binding insecure.

Hershl Hartman