[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 24.011

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Thu Apr 23 21:07:05 EDT 2015

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 24.011
April 23, 2015

1) Children's story (Paula Grossman)
2) OCR of the complete works of Sholem Aleichem (Refoyl Finkl)
3) klug bilet (Arele Viswanath)
4) nervous hoolelia (Amy Kaufman)
5) Table of contents for Sholem Aleichem (Refoyl Finkl)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 19
Subject: Children's story

A few years ago I came, when surfing on children's literature, I came
across a story about a lantern-man. He walked the street and lit the lamps
of the town. It was a beautiful story and also nicely illustrated in a
40’s-50's style. I have looked through all the children's books at the
Yiddish Book Centre without success. Does anybody recognize the story?

Paula Grossman
Stockholm

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 19
Subject: OCR of the complete works of Sholem Aleichem

I'm looking for more proofreaders for my OCR version of the complete works
of Sholem Aleichem:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cs.uky.edu_-7Eraphael_yiddish_searchSholem.cgi&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=hgSCSvtHqNOp40iT6T4uKyOHqvQreUPfVso-KO1Kgto&m=5ssm5zBDyjPE8Pl4ywPW8KOMDBE9UFYCbjDYyAbJLm8&s=XDPuRrAO9jfAGQDbIHVpfE4ojnzv7fvTv-w9ZVJ0NeU&e=

At present, about 6% of the entire corpus has been proofread by at least
one editor, thanks to a small crew of 8 active editors. I have done some
proofreading myself; it's actually a lot of fun. Anyone can try out the
editing tools; only registered editors can save their edited text. The
editing tools include a form for requesting editor status.

I have also added a "read" feature: You can see any page, whether proofread
or not, in any of four forms: original scan, OCR version (as currently
proofread), OCR version with mouse-over word translations, and
transliteration into Roman letters.

I plan to add a table of contents [see post #5 below]; for now, the best
way to find a favorite text is via the search facility. You can also go to
a random page, and once you are reading any page, you can easily go
backward or forward one page and switch between reading and editing modes.

I'm open to suggestions on improvements; many of the current features are

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 29
Subject: klug bilet

tayere mendelyaner,

Is anyone familiar with the phrase "klug bilet"? It apparently means "very
clever". Google Books returns a single hit:

"un do iz meyern oysgekumen tsufelik zikh tsu trefn mit a yingl in zayn
elter. a shnayder-yingl, ober klug — bilet."

I am curious to know the etymology of this phrase, as well as its
pronunciation--which of the words receives the primary stress?

a sheynem dank,
Arele Viswanath

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: April 14
Subject: nervous hoolelia

Tayere mendelyaner,

I am catching up on my 1990s pop culture, watching the first season of The
West Wing television series on DVD. In one episode, the character Sam
Seaborn, who is not supposed to be Jewish as far as I can tell, uses the
expression "nervous hoolelia." No one, including the two Jewish characters
(Toby and Josh) seems to have ever heard that word. Sam says, "It may just
be a word my mother made up." Well, my mother's been using that expression
since I can remember, and I always thought it was Yiddish. No?

A dank in advance,
Amy Kaufman
US

[The moderators point Ms. Kaufman to
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jewish-2Dlanguages.org_jewish-2Denglish-2Dlexicon_words_1368&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=hgSCSvtHqNOp40iT6T4uKyOHqvQreUPfVso-KO1Kgto&m=5ssm5zBDyjPE8Pl4ywPW8KOMDBE9UFYCbjDYyAbJLm8&s=1NG6V748sOke2Fv1Ri6aPiIfbrYOY3nAsm8pBOk-BFs&e= ]

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date: April 21
Subject: Table of contents for Sholem Aleichem

I have now set up a table of contents for the complete works of Sholem
Aleichem, pointing to the OCR version and, where available, to sound files
of actors reading selections.

The search page at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cs.uky.edu_-7Eraphael_yiddish_searchSholem.cgi&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=hgSCSvtHqNOp40iT6T4uKyOHqvQreUPfVso-KO1Kgto&m=5ssm5zBDyjPE8Pl4ywPW8KOMDBE9UFYCbjDYyAbJLm8&s=XDPuRrAO9jfAGQDbIHVpfE4ojnzv7fvTv-w9ZVJ0NeU&e=
points to the table of contents.

A marvelous team of proofreaders has now completed editing 13% of the
entire corpus. Come join the team!

If you know of other online recordings, please let me know.

Special thanks to Eliezer Niborski for assistance in completing the table
of contents.

Refoyl

End of Mendele Vol. 24.011

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events, commercial publications, requests to which responses should be
sent exclusively to the request's author, etc., always in plain text (no
HTML or the like) to:

   victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

    mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.

Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email addresses,
as responses will be posted for all to read.  They must also include the
author's name as you would like it to appear.

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when applicable, as closely as possible to standard
English punctuation, grammar, etc. and to the YIVO rules of transliteration
into Latin letters. A guide to Romanization can be found at this site:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.yivoinstitute.org_about_index.php-3Ftid-3D57-26aid-3D275&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=hgSCSvtHqNOp40iT6T4uKyOHqvQreUPfVso-KO1Kgto&m=5ssm5zBDyjPE8Pl4ywPW8KOMDBE9UFYCbjDYyAbJLm8&s=bf0IL1ztFOovbiR_UeKqzyE8GXQInUR7Fv_K4P8iXH8&e=

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web [interim address]:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_site_mendeledervaylik&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=hgSCSvtHqNOp40iT6T4uKyOHqvQreUPfVso-KO1Kgto&m=5ssm5zBDyjPE8Pl4ywPW8KOMDBE9UFYCbjDYyAbJLm8&s=yNrrNUr31YGLAj7qtODlL-NngNPfzG7zcmqu0kc9Zpg&e=

End of Mendele Vol. 24.008

    mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear in
your posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.

Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email addresses,
as responses will be posted for all to read.  They must also include the
author's name as you would like it to appear.

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when applicable, as closely as possible to standard
English punctuation, grammar, etc. and to the YIVO rules of transliteration
into Latin letters. A guide to Romanization can be found at this site:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.yivoinstitute.org_about_index.php-3Ftid-3D57-26aid-3D275&d=AwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=D8C0VFGQIMfNsn7w8b0vfE3r3ePhWQ7ssdhDNAOIA7Y&m=_bmBLOP_2YfDmJc5lwvlhNE7V_ueA0aXFewjprUgcyI&s=QEV4mZ6qOPg-HcgWJWfK_wVz66gwfJblmKDP2aBjqMU&e=

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:

mendele at mailman.yale.edu