[NHCOLL-L:114] Re: insuring shipments of specimens?

James Cordeiro cordeiro at amnh.org
Thu Apr 22 09:53:44 EDT 1999

Here's my take on insuring specimens:

When an institution sends specimens, the ideal situation is for packages
to arrive on time with no damage or loss.

If, by some miracle, a package is lost- types included or non-types
included, is it truly of prime importance to receive a monetary value for
the specimens?  We all know specimens (esp. types) are irreplaceable
regardless of the level of insurance.

What we truly are after, is the specimens to be returned.  No amount of
cash can replace a holotype, be it $2 or $2 million.  Insurance inevitably
slows the arrival of packages.  The true benefit to insurance is the
ability to track insured packages once they become lost.

You will find you can save your institution considerable funds on wasted
insurance by simply sending packages registered mail.  There is no extra
cost and packages can easily be tracked.  In addition, delivery times are
faster because there are no delays in processing insured packages.  For
the ultra-paranoid, send return receipt to guarantee knowledge of package
receipt.

- My two cents....

Jay Cordeiro
American Museum of Natural History