[NHCOLL-L:116] re: insuring specimen shipments

Robin Panza panzar at clpgh.org
Thu Apr 22 11:38:39 EDT 1999

>From: James Cordeiro <cordeiro at amnh.org>
>
>You will find you can save your institution considerable funds on wasted
>insurance by simply sending packages registered mail.  There is no extra
>cost and packages can easily be tracked.  In addition, delivery times are
>faster because there are no delays in processing insured packages.  For
>the ultra-paranoid, send return receipt to guarantee knowledge of package
>receipt.

I beg to differ.  Registering a package slows its delivery considerably.  This
is because every person who handles the package must fill out a form stating
where and when s/he did so.  I would expect that this is true of almost any
form of package-tracing in the USPS.

On the other hand, UPS has automatic tracking with those bar codes they put on
every package.  You can track it yourself on the web and it doesn't seem to
slow things down.

Robin

Robin K Panza				panzar at clpgh.org
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH